Preventing Frozen Pipes
This year we have had a considerably colder winter then those in the past. For some, these chilly nights can be the cause of ruined homes and families having their lives disrupted by frozen water pipes. This can be a great inconvenience and an extremely expensive ordeal.
There are three main causes of frozen pipes: Fast drops in temperature, poor insulation, and thermostats set too low. Here are some tips to help prevent your pipes from freezing.
Before the cold
• Insulate pipes
• Seal leaks that let in cold air
When the temperature drops
• Let warm water drip overnight from a faucet
• Keep your thermostat set at a fixed temperature during the day and night
• Open cabinet doors to allow heat under sinks
Before you travel
• Set the temperature no lower than 55°F
• Have a friend check your house
• Shut off and drain the water system